SEARCH

Monday
Nov132017

Daisy Ridley says of "Force Awakens" performance: "I didn't think I was good"

Disney(LONDON) -- While her character Rey became an instant favorite with many fans young and old, Daisy Ridley gave her Force Awakens performance a thumbs-down.

"I didn't think I was good in the first film, and I was struggling with that," she told Elle UK.

Perhaps it was director J.J. Abrams' calling her performance "wooden" on the first day of shooting that shook her confidence. "I was petrified...I honestly wanted to die. I thought I was gonna cry, I couldn’t breathe," she recalled to Glamour afterwards.

However, for The Last Jedi, Ridley's second go 'round in that galaxy far, far away, she seems she's feeling more at ease.

She explained, "I was thinking I did the first one because I didn't really know what I was getting myself into and I was having loads of fun, and suddenly I'm realizing what this actually is, and I can't f**king do this."

Daisy joked, "I'm highly dramatic -- so it's all 'Oh my God."  She did find her groove, though: "Finally I was like 'Oh yeah, this is working.''

Ridley, who's currently in theaters in the ensemble mystery Murder on the Orient Express, explains she spends much of the new Star Wars film opposite Mark Hamill, whose Luke Skywalker is hesitantly training her character to be a Jedi.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens December 15 from Lucasfilm, which is owned by Disney, parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

"The whole circumstance is sad": Christopher Plummer on subbing for Kevin Spacey in "All the Money in the World"

Sony Pictures(LOS ANGELES) -- Christopher Plummer wants to make it clear: isn't replacing Kevin Spacey in the upcoming film, All the Money in the World.

It was announced last week that Plummer, 87, would step in for Spacey, 58, in the Ridley Scott film after multiple sexual misconduct allegations have emerged against the former House of Cards star.  In the wake of the allegations, Scott decided to excise all scenes that featured Spacey, who played tycoon J. Paul Getty in the film, and re-shoot the scenes with Plummer playing the part.  It was an unprecedented decision, especially given All the Money in the World was scheduled to be released next month.

"It isn’t replacing. In a funny way it’s starting all over again because it’s going to be different, naturally," Plummer told Entertainment Tonight.

Actor Anthony Rapp was the first to publicly accuse Spacey, saying the actor made an unwanted sexua; advance toward him when he was just 14 years old.  Later, Richard Dreyfuss' son, Harry, accused Spacey of unwanted groping, along with Heather Unruh, who claims the Oscar-winning actor brought her then-18-year-old son "drink after drink" and then groped his genitals at a restaurant bar in Nantucket, Massachusetts, in July 2016.

Spacey didn't respond to requests for comments on the latest accusations, nor on being replaced in the All the Money in the World.

"The whole circumstance is sad," Plummer told ET. "But I’ve got to forget that and go and do it, because it’s a very well-written script and Ridley has been very good."

Plummer said the film is slated to begin re-shoots next Monday.  "It's quite a push," he said. 

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

Jack Black challenges Chris Hemsworth to a "battle of the jams" over Led Zeppelin song in "Thor: Ragnarok"

Marvel Studios(LOS ANGELES) -- Jack Black thinks Chris Hemsworth jacked his style and he's challenging the Thor: Ragnarok star to a "battle of the jams."

On Saturday, Black -- one half of the faux metal duo Tenacious D -- posted a video to Thor director Taika Waititi's Twitter account in which he claims Hemsworth "bit our style" and "poached our jam" by using Led Zeppelin's classic "Immigrant Song" in the movie.

Black also sang the song in a classic scene from his 2003 comedy School of Rock.

Black then jokingly challenged Hemsworth to a musical throwdown.

"I'm calling you out Thor. This is a challenge. I challenge you to a battle -- a battle of the jams," Black says in menacing voice.

"Guilty as charged," Hemsworth responds in a post on his Instagram. "I don't know what a battle of the jams is," he continues, "A little bit of jam on toast? A little bit of Pearl Jam? Awesome."

"My place or yours, baby. I'm in," he concludes.

Black further teased the 34-year-old Australian actor by sharing an Instagram video of him and Thor: Ragnarok co-star Cate Blanchett taking part in an "Immigrant Song" lip-sync in which she and Black recreate the fight scene in the movie the song is playing under.

Blanchett co-stars with Black in the upcoming film The House with a Clock in Its Walls, slated for a 2018 release.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

"Supergirl" star responds after showrunner is accused of sexual harassment

© 2017 The CW Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved/Robert Falconer(LOS ANGELES) -- On Sunday night, Supergirl star Melissa Benoist, tweeted that she will return to work on the show, “even more committed to being a part of changing the norm by listening when people speak up, and refusing to accept an environment that is anything less than a safe, respectful and collaborate space.”

The tweet comes after showrunner Andrew Kreisberg was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women.

Kreisberg, the executive producer of The CW's DC Comics series, which also includes The Flash and Arrow, was suspended by Warner Bros. Television Group in the wake of the allegations, according to Variety. The company has launched an internal investigation into the claims leveled against him.

On Friday, Variety reported that nineteen men and women, many of whom are current or former employees of Kreisberg shows, anonymously came forward to accuse the producer of sexual misconduct which took place over several years.

Kreisberg has denied the allegations. "I have made comments on women’s appearances and clothes in my capacity as an executive producer, but they were not sexualized,” he told Variety.

Benoist did not name Kreisberg in her Twitter statement, but called for change, writing, "...when people commit crimes or harass others, they should always be held accountable — no matter what industry they work in or how much power they wield. I've spoke up about it in the past — publicly and not so publicly — and I'll continue to do so. All of us should, without fear or shame. We all need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

"The Walking Dead" Recap - "Some Guy"

AMC/Gene Page(NEW YORK) --  Sunday's episode of The Walking Dead began with a flashback sequence: King Ezekiel waking up and dressing in his armor, before the operation that ended in the last episode with his people getting cut down by a .50 cal gun nest.

His people say goodbye to their Kingdom-based loved ones in the flashback, before the fighters head out. 

After giving his warriors one last look, he bucks them up with another of his "And yet I smile" motivational speeches. You can tell he has a background in theater. "WE ARE ONE!" he chants, and the others repeat it, gathering in an embrace.

Cut to the Saviors' compound. Body parts are everywhere. They are one in death.

A pile of bodies shakes, and Ezekiel emerges from underneath, to find his people cut to pieces. He screams, which certainly isn't too smart considering there are snipers about.

One by one, to his horror, his fallen comrades awaken -- as walkers. With an injured leg, he scrabbles backwards through the menace before the credits run.

Ezekiel uses a discarded rifle as a cane, before offing one of his former comrades who turns on him. No ammo, the king is rescued at the last minute by one of his surviving men.

In the sniper nest, a band of Negan's men pack up their .50 cals.

Inside their building, Carol stalks, on her own. Outnumbered, she hides.

The men lug the crated heavy weapons through a room, when they're cut down.

Carol emerges from a drop-ceiling, gun smoking, and puts down two gurgling survivors. Just as she tries to take the crate, more Saviors emerge, scaring her away.

Outside, Ezekiel and his lieutenant walk through, before he's shot. A spectacles-wearing savior emerges, and takes the limping Ezekiel hostage.

Ezekiel warns him that the Sanctuary is overrun with walkers, thanks to Rick's operation. The baddie explains that they want to movie the heavy weapons to the Sanctuary to clear out the undead.

The Savior who took Ezekiel puts him down verbally, calling him a con man in a costume, who "rooked" his people "into thinking you're a king."

Elsewhere, on her own, Carol attempts to take out the Saviors looking to move the guns when she's ambushed. Taking fire from behind a pick-up, she's pinned down.

Ezekiel seeks a chance to break free and slashes his captor with the sword he took away. He cuts him, but is overpowered. "Illusions of grandeur," the captor says after painting Ezekiel with the man's own blood.

They make it to a locked fence and can't get out, the horde approaching. He tells Ezekiel that Negan wanted him alive to pin to the Sanctuary fence, but, "your head on a pike will do just fine." Just as he raises Ezekiel's sword, the captor is chopped in half by Jerry, the King's loyal guard.

Meanwhile, Carol apparently surrenders to the baddies, promising to tell them where her allies are. 

Jerry and Ezekiel can't break open the gate. Jerry breaks his axe trying to open it.

Back to Carol. When a Savior approaches the supposedly surrendering woman, she quickly takes him hostage at knifepoint. Negan's people shoot him instead. In the confusion, she grabs the Savior's key ring and hits a button, opening a door, sending walkers shambling to the Saviors' backs. This breaks their ranks, leaving only two in a standoff to face off with her.

She has a choice: try to stop the guys from getting away with the guns or save Ezekiel and Jerry from the horde at the fence.

In a flashback, Ezekiel is telling Carol how he went from a "meek" zookeeper to the savior of his tiger Shiva, who was injured. He leapt into her enclosure, he recalled, and saved her. "If you're asked to be the hero, be the hero," he quotes the fallen Kingdommer kid Benjamin.

Ezekiel asks Carol if she's always been so strong and brave. Viewers know she has gone from battered wife to bada**. "I decided," she says. "But life decided some things," too.

In the present, Carol unlocks the gate. Ezekiel panics that the guns are getting away.

Carol hears a motorcycle in the distance. "They're not getting to the Sanctuary" she assures him.

On a road, the two Saviors hauling the 50s are pursued by Daryl on his bike, and Rick in a Jeep behind him. The Saviors' truck bay opens, and one of them opens up, causing Daryl to ditch his bike.

Rick's Jeep takes some hits, before walkers in the road cause the Savior driver to swerve, knocking the gunman off balance in the back.

Rick swerves, revealing Daryl, back on the bike. He fires, killing the gunman. Rick pulls alongside the Humvee and Indiana Jones style, jumps in. He knifes the driver in the belly, and swerves. The truck careens off the road.

Elsewhere, Carol and Jerry haul the injured Ezekiel into a gully, where walkers who have been stewing in toxic waste have been hanging around. They turn their attention to the fresh meat.

On the road, Rick, who apparently ditched before the truck went off the road, reunites with Daryl, to recover the Saviors' heavy weapons.

Meanwhile, Ezekiel insists Carol and Jerry abandon him there so his two friends can escape, because they're struggling to get him up an embankment.

"I can't leave you, your majesty!" a desperate Jerry says.

"I'm not your king!" Ezekiel exclaims. "I'm not your majesty! I ain't no king! I'm just some guy!"

Just as all seems lost, Shiva leaps into the fray, tossing walkers aside, giving the survivors a chance to escape. Eventually, she is overpowered, too, and to Ezekiel's horror, the walkers tear her apart.

Later, The Kingdom's gates open, revealing only Carol, Jerry, and the would-be king, wounded in more ways than one.

The Kingdommers gather, to see that all their mothers and dads and wives and husbands won't be coming back.

The Walking Dead returns next Sunday, September 19 at 9 p.m. Eastern time on AMC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

John Lithgow can totally relate to his "Daddy's Home 2" character

ABC/Randy Holmes(NEW YORK) -- Fathers, family, and the battle for holiday supremacy: Daddy's Home 2 takes a funny look at the most wonderful time of the year. The sequel to the 2015 original stars Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg -- this time dealing with their over-the-top dads, played by John Lithgow and Mel Gibson. Lithgow tells ABC Radio that he has plenty of experience in that department.

"Mel and I are granddads," he explains. "We have survived fatherhood, and our kids have survived childhood with us as dads. It is a ridiculous role being a father. You know, you try so hard and you never get it entirely right."

What did catch the 72-year-old actor off guard was Gibson's talent for comedy. "He’s funny on screen, he’s funny as a person. There is no joke that you can tell him that he doesn’t know the punchline," he says.

"The other thing about Mel, you know, the last thing he did was directing Hacksaw Ridge," adds Lithgow. "He came from such a grim, tortured drama to do this and it was the weather changing and the sun coming out." 

Daddy's Home 2 opened in second place at the box office over the weekend, with a better-than-expected $30 million debut.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

Terry Crews drops talent agency amid sexual harassment allegations

ABC/Kevin Mazur(LOS ANGELES) -- After filing a report with the Los Angeles Police Department against a Hollywood executive who allegedly sexually assaulted him last year, Terry Crews reportedly has parted ways with the William Morris Endeavor talent agency.

According to Variety, Crews dropped WME after alleging one of its top executives groped the Brooklyn Nine-Nine star.  According to Variety, the executive in question is WME talent agent Adam Venit, who is now said to be on leave from the agency as the firm investigates Crews' allegations. 

As previously reported, Crews shared his own sexual harassment story on social media last month saying a "high-level Hollywood executive" had groped his "privates" during an event last year.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

Tiffany Haddish makes history on "Saturday Night Live" as 1st black female comic to host 

NBC/Will Heath(NEW YORK) -- Tiffany Haddish made history Saturday night -- becoming the first black female standup comedian to host Saturday Night Live in the sketch comedy show's 43 seasons.

In her opening monologue, Haddish talked about her newfound stardom after starring in the blockbuster, Girls Trip, released earlier this year. She told the audience that after googling herself, she discovered that she was worth $2 million.

"What do I need to do to get this money?" the 37-year-old asked. "Fake my own death? Tupac this and move to Tyler Perry Island?"

Haddish also touched upon other topics such as her childhood growing up in foster care, her failed marriage, Donald Trump's hair and celebrities' speaking out about sexual harassment in Hollywood.

The comedian was also featured in several sketches on the show, including one in which she portrayed a Mortal Kombat-style fighter named Boo Boo Jeffries, and another as a guest on a fake talk show called Get Woke with Tamika.

Haddish also played rapper Cardi B. and singer Mary J. Blige in a sketch about all of the celebs who auditioned for the recently announced Lion King reboot.  The sketch also featured portrayals of Kit Harington, L.L. Cool J and Oprah Winfrey.


 

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

"Star Trek" star George Takei says he's "shocked and bewildered" by sexual assault claim

ABC/Lou Rocco(LOS ANGELES) -- Star Trek actor George Takei is denying allegations that he sexually assaulted a former model and actor in his Los Angeles home back in the 1980s.

Scott R. Brunton told The Hollywood Reporter that when he was 23, he met Takei, who was in his 40s at the time, at a local bar.

One night in 1981, Brunton claimed, after the two men went out, Takei invited Brunton back to his Los Angeles condo for a nightcap.  After a second drink Brunton claims he began feeling dizzy and after sitting down, passed out.

Brunton then claims the actor groped him.

ABC News reached out to Brunton, but didn't immediately hear back. ABC News also reached out to reps for Takei, but didn't immediately hear back.

Takei, now 80, who is best known for his role as Hikaru Sulu on the original Star Trek series, took to Twitter   to deny the allegations.

"I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them," he wrote Saturday morning. "The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do."

Takei said he's taking Brunton's claims "seriously," which is why he wanted to respond.

"Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago," Takei wrote . "But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Nov132017

"Thor" Ragnaroks box office again with $56.6 million second weekend

Marvel Studios(LOS ANGELES) -- Thor: Ragnarok topped the box office for the second week in a row, hammering the competition with an estimated $56.6 million weekend. The film has earned more than $211 million stateside, surpassing the total domestic gross for both Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

Thor: Ragnarok's overseas total now stands at $438.5 million, bringing its worldwide take to more than $650 million. It's now the 12th highest grossing Marvel film. Marvel, like ABC, is owned by Disney.

Daddy's Home 2 -- starring Mark Wahlberg, Will Ferrell, Mel Gibson and John Lithgow -- won the battle for second place, topping expectations with an estimated $30 million debut.

The second new offering, Murder on the Orient Express -- starring Kenneth Brannagh, Penélope Cruz, Judi Dench and Johnny Depp -- also performed better than expected, earning an estimated $28.2 million, for a third place finish.

Bowing in fourth place was A Bad Moms Christmas, with an estimated $11.5 million take. Rounding out the top five was Jigsaw, earning and estimated $3.4 million.

Lady Bird, expanding to 37 theaters, raked in a whopping $1.25 million for a 10th place finish.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri -- starring Francis McDormand and Woody Harrelson -- impressed with an estimated $320,000, opening weekend from just four theaters.

Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated weekend gross ticket sales:

1. Thor: Ragnarok, $56.6 million
2. Daddy’s Home 2, $30 million
3. Murder on the Orient Express, $28.2 million
4. A Bad Moms Christmas, $11.5 million
5. Jigsaw, $3.4 million
6. Boo 2: A Madea Halloween, $2 million
7. Geostorm, $1.5 million
8. Blade Runner 2049, $1.4 million
9. Happy Death Day, $1.3 million
10. Lady Bird, $1.25 million

 

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio