SEARCH

Friday
Nov102017

Don't touch her hair: Fashion magazine apologizes to Lupita Nyong'o after Photoshopping her hair

Marvel(LOS ANGELES) -- U.K. magazine Grazia learned the hard way that you don't touch a black woman's hair.

For their November 2017 cover, the magazine used a digitally altered image of Lupita Nyong'o, which showed the actress sporting a low cut. In the original photo, Lupita's hair was pushed back in a ponytail, with an Afro puff in the back.

Seeing the changes, Nyong'o called out the mag on Instagram, saying she was "disappointed" in the magazine's decision to edit her appearance in order to "fit their notion of what beautiful hair looks like."

"As I have made clear so often in the past with every fiber of my being, I embrace my natural heritage and despite having grown up thinking light skin and straight, silky hair were the standards of beauty," Lupita wrote, captioning a split image of the magazine's published photo beside the original one. "I now know that my dark skin and kinky, coily hair are beautiful too."

Nyong'o continued: "I am disappointed that @graziauk invited me to be on their cover and then edited out and smoothed my hair to fit their notion of what beautiful hair looks like."  She added that had she "been consulted," she would have never "condoned the omission of [her] native heritage" and that "there is still a very long way to go to combat the unconscious prejudice against black women."

In a statement, Grazia apologized "unreservedly" to Nyong'o, stating in part that they are "committed to representing diversity throughout its pages and apologizes unreservedly to Lupita Nyong’o."  They also said the decision to alter Nyongo's hair wasn't theirs.

Last month, Solange also received an apology from a U.K. magazine after her images was digitally altered. London's Evening Standard issued an apology after they deleted some of Solange's braids from the magazine's cover photo.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

More Louis C.K. fallout: FX, publicist/agent, management company cut ties

Rich Fury/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- The FX television network, home to several series Louis C.K. produces, has cut ties with the comic and actor in the wake of allegations of sexual misconduct, allegations C.K. himself confirmed.

FX and FX Productions issued a joint statement, declaring they're "ending our association with Louis C.K. We are cancelling the overall deal between FX Productions and his production company, Pig Newton. He will no longer serve as executive producer or receive compensation on any of the four shows we were producing with him -- Better Things, Baskets, One Mississippi and The Cops." 

The Cops is an animated series that was scheduled to debut in 2018 on TBS.  The network is said to have suspended production on it as well.

A New York Times article Thursday alleged five women were subjected to unwanted sexual advances in 2002, 2003 and 2005 from Louis C.K., who pleasured himself in front of them.  C.K. on Friday confirmed the allegations in a lengthy statement, declaring "These stories are true."  He also expressed remorse for his actions and regret for any hurt he caused.

The statement from FX Networks and FX Productions goes on to say they were unaware of the incidents described in the New York Times story, adding, "As far as we know, his behavior over the past 8 years on all five series he has produced for FX Networks and/or FX Productions has been professional. However, now is not the time for him to make television shows. Now is the time for him to honestly address the women who have come forth to speak about their painful experiences, a process which he began today with his public statement."

Also Friday, Louis C.K.'s longtime agent and publicist, Lewis Kay, tweeted: "As of today, I no longer represent Louis C.K."  C.K.'s management company, 3 Arts Management, has also reportedly dropped him as a client.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

Mel Gibson is back to comedy with "Daddy's Home 2" -- and maybe back to "Lethal Weapon"? 

ABC/Lorenzo Bevilaqua(NEW YORK) -- Mel Gibson's multiple-Oscar-nominated Hacksaw Ridge was hailed for its unflinching look at one of the bloodier battles of World War II, but he switched gears for his follow-up, this weekend's comedy release Daddy's Home 2

The sequel to the 2015 sleeper hit that starred Will Ferrell as the square stepdad to his stepkids' much cooler biological dad Mark Wahlberg has Mel playing the one man who can make Mark's character Dusty shake in his motorcycle boots: his own dad.

Playing Gibson's opposite is John Lithgow as Ferrell's overly affectionate pop.

The switch back to comedy, like his 2000 hit What Women Want, was a welcome palette cleanser after Hacksaw, Mel tells ABC Radio. "The change of pace is just, by golly, refreshing...You know, it's been a while since I have done a comedy. You know, I think there's room for more of that kinda stuff. Life's too damn serious these days."

Wahlberg and Ferrell previously starred in The Other Guys together, as well. "Watching those guys work, I mean, their minds are -- they have ... this improvisational shorthand [now]," Gibson enthuses. "You can just sit there for a quarter of an hour while these guys go on a riff about God knows what. You know, they'll talk about Parmesan cheese shavings or, you know, whatever ... It just gets out there."

Speaking of shorthand, ABC Radio wanted to know what it would take to reunite Mel, Danny Glover and director Richard Donner for a fifth Lethal Weapon. "Ah, I dunno, not too much," Gibson said. "I think a good script would do it. [S]o long as nobody's dropped off the perch, I think we're all right, you know?"

Gibson said of his friend Donner, 87, "He's not a youngster, but he's still got the goods."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

"These stories are true": Louis C.K. confirms accusers' stories in "New York Times" piece

FX(NEW YORK) -- After a New York Times article that alleged multiple women, including fellow comedians Dana Min Goodman, Julia Wolov, Abby Schachner, and Rebecca Corry, were subjected to unwanted sexual advances from Louis C.K., the comedian, director, and producer has formally acknowledged, admitted and expressed remorse for the misdeeds, which occurred in 2002, 2003, and 2005.

His complete statement, obtained by ABC News, is as follows: 

"I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

"These stories are true.  At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my d*** without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your d*** isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them.  The power I had over these women is that they admired me.  And I wielded that power irresponsibly.  

"I have been remorseful of my actions. And I've tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.  

"I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn't want to hear it. I didn't think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.  

"There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for.  And I have to reconcile it with who I am.  Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.  

"I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work. 

"The hardest regret to live with is what you've done to hurt someone else.  And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.  

"I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

"I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want.  I will now step back and take a long time to listen.   

"Thank you for reading."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

Tracee Ellis Ross on her new JCPenney holiday collection: It's "for everybody and every body"

ABC/Bob D'Amico(NEW YORK) -- Tracee Ellis Ross is a proud fashionista -- and starting Sunday, the black-ish star will get to show the world just how deep her passion for fashion runs.

Ross, who has partnered with JCPenney for an exclusive holiday collection, says her new fashion line is literally for "everybody."

"[It] would suit everybody, and all different body types. For everybody and every body," Ross tells ABC Radio. "In all different sizes that would be at a price point that you would actually have fun and go buys some things and play with them."

According to Ross, the opportunity to collaborate with the retailer was both "exciting" and sort of "a dream come true."

"I have always loved clothes and style. I was that little girl who like wrapped myself in sheets and made dresses -- and like made my mom take pictures of me," she says, referring to her mother, the iconic Diana Ross. 

Tracee continues: "And I was stealing clothes out of my mom's closet from a young age. It's been my fantasy and my dream to create a line of clothing since I was a young girl. And I feel that I have been, sort of, fantasizing about it and creating my collection in my head."

Of course, while Ross revels in notion that she finally gets to live out her fashion dreams, she notes that the new collection will serve a higher and more "empowered" purpose.

"My goal was really to make a collection of clothing that helped women to feel empowered and joyful in getting dressed," she says.

Ross' holiday collection with JCPenney becomes available Sunday, November 12. The collection, ranging from sizes small to 3x, will be priced from $9 to $75.

Go to Traceellisross.com for more information.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

Welcome aboard: Patti LaBelle joins the cast of Lee Daniels' "Star"

ABC/Lorenzo Bevilaqua(LOS ANGELES) -- Lee Daniels' musical drama series Star is gaining a megawatt singing star for future episodes. Patti LaBelle has signed on to appear on the show in multiple episodes, according to The Hollywood Reporter.  

LaBelle will portray Christine, the mother of Queen Latifah's character, Carlotta Brown. In addition, pop/R&B singer Brandy is joining the show for a series of episodes in the role of Carlotta's younger sister, Cassie.

Brandy and Latifah starred together in the music video for Brandy's "I Wanna Be Down (Remix)" in 1994, so their reunion on Star will be a special treat for fans.

Patti and Brandy make their Star debuts in spring of next year on Fox.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

Louis C.K.'s "I Love You, Daddy" pulled from release, Netflix cancels stand-up special in wake of lewd conduct allegations 

Getty Images for Tribeca TV Festival/Ben Gabbe(NEW YORK) -- The release of Louis C.K.'s new film “I Love You, Daddy” -- which centers on a nearly 70-year-old director obsessing over a 17-year-old girl -- has been pulled after five women accused the comedian of sexual misconduct. 

“The Orchard will not be moving forward with the release," reports the production company that backed the movie.

On Thursday, the company scrapped a planned premiere of the film, just hours before a New York Times story detailing the accusations was published. 

According to the article, multiple women, including fellow comedians Dana Min Goodman, Julia Wolov, Abby Schachner, and Rebecca Corry, accused C.K. -- born  Louis Szekely -- of either harassment or committing lewd acts, including pleasuring himself in front of them.  The alleged acts occurred in 2002. 2003 and 2005.

Rumors about C.K.'s alleged behavior have persisted for years, with the comic refusing to address them.  On Friday's Good Morning America, Cara Buckley, one of the reporters behind the piece, said the accounts were corroborated by others.

"We looked for paper trails. We looked for emails the women sent afterwards, and we talked to, at length, people that they had reached out to after the incidents," said Buckley.  "Many of them, right after it happened, they called a friend, saying, 'you would not believe what just happened to me.'"

Buckley also praised the women for being "brave enough...to step forward" despite the risk of career backlash for speaking out against C.K., whom she described as "beloved. He is a king-maker. He helps build careers of other people."

Also Friday, Netflix announced it was canceling a second planned stand-up special with Louis C.K.  Calling the allegations "disturbing," Netflix said in a statement his "unprofessional and inappropriate behavior with female colleagues has led us to decide not to produce a second stand-up special, as had been planned."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

John Hillerman, snooty caretaker on "Magnum P.I.", dies at 84 

Getty Images/Donaldson Collection/Michael Ochs ArchivesJohn Hillerman, the actor best known for playing Tom Selleck's demanding estate caretaker Jonathan Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died died at his home in Houston, on Thursday, according to the New York Times. He was 84. He died of natural causes, according to his publicist, Lori De Waal.

Besides Magnum, P.I., Hillerman had supporting roles in notable 1970s movies, including What's Up, Doc?, Paper Moon, Chinatown and Blazing Saddles; and on TV as savvy sleuth Ellery Queen. He also appeared in numerous sitcoms, including The Betty White Show, Valerie's Family: The Hogans, and One Day at a Time.

In addition to his film and TV career, Hillerman appeared in more 100 stage parts.

Of his Magnum, P.I. role, Hillerman once said, “It’s the best gig I’ve ever had. You’re looking at this rare thing: a happy actor," according to the Times.

Hillerman retired from acting in 1999.

The actor, known for playing snooty characters with a British accent, was actually a native Texan.

Friday
Nov102017

FX, HBO respond to Louis C.K. sexual misconduct allegations

FX(NEW YORK) -- The fallout from Thursday's New York Times story in which five women accused Louis C.K. of sexual misconduct, continues.

The comedian has yet to comment on the story, although his publicist, Lewis Kay, told ABC News that the comedian would issue a written statement "in the coming days."

The New York City premiere of Louis C.K.’s new movie, I Love You, Daddy, was abruptly cancelled Thursday.  Later, HBO announced that the comedian was being dropped from its upcoming live autism benefit, Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs. In addition, HBO announced that is is removing past projects involving the comedian from is On Demand services.

And FX Networks, home to C.K.'s on-hiatus self-titled show, and to four other series with the comic's production company, said it was reviewing the status of the partnership.

"We are obviously very troubled by the allegations about Louis C.K. published in The New York Times today," the network said in a statement Thursday. "The network has received no allegations of misconduct by Louis C.K. related to any of our 5 shows produced together over the past 8 years.  FX Networks and FXP take all necessary actions to protect our employees and thoroughly investigate any allegations of misconduct within our workplace. That said, the matter is currently under review.”

Among the FX shows with with C.K. is involved are Better Things and Baskets.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Nov102017

There's a new "Star Wars" trilogy not so far, far away

(L-R) Daisy Ridley and director Rian Johnson on the set of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" - Lucasfilm(LOS ANGELES) -- Star Wars fans, get ready to go deep into a new part of the galaxy far, far away!

A new Star Wars trilogy, led by The Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson, is making its way to the big screen, Disney announced Thursday.

In the new film series, Johnson, along with producer Ram Bergman, who will collaborate with the director, will introduce new characters to the Star Wars universe. Bergman was a producer on The Last Jedi.

"We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi," Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. "Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films."

The new trilogy will be completely separate from what Johnson, 43, wrote in The Last Jedi, which continues the story from 2015's hit film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

In The Last Jedi, out December 15, Daisy Ridley's Rey just battled Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver, and is off to find a hiding Luke Skywalker, portrayed by Mark Hamill.

ABC News and Lucasfilm are both part of parent company Disney.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio